Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"D" is for Dad

I've been very fortunate, in a strange way.

My dad.
You see, I have been blessed with two wonderful fathers in my life. The first one was the man who helped bring me into this world, my biological father. He's the one I remember taking me the Marion County Fair and the Indiana State Fair when I was a child. To this day I get choked up when I look at a merry-go-round.

We hardly ever missed a 500 festival parade. I still get tears in my eyes when I see the Purdue All-American Marching Band. They always led the parade.

He made the best hot chocolate in the world . . . from scratch . . . with Hershey's cocoa, sugar, and water to create a paste, then added whole milk. I always volunteered him to make the hot chocolate for UMYF or other church youth functions.

He took me to Junior Achievement the night I made my first speech to a Rotary Club.

He died the following year when I was a junior in high school. I miss him very much.

My stepdad and mom.
My stepdad choose to be my father when he married my mother 22 years ago. He willingly accepted the role as "dad" to three women who are all crazy in our own right.

He is the one who walked me down the aisle when I married the love of my life. My stepdad's love knows no limits, just as a father's should, so I know we were meant to cross paths in this life.

One day, I know I'll have the opportunity to see my earthly dad, again. I thank my Heavenly Father, for his blessings on this fathers' day.

God is good.








No comments:

Post a Comment